Per Diem Rates
Allowance Rates
Standardized Regulations (DSSR)
General Information
Quarterly Report Indexes
Office of Allowances

Office of Allowances


Evacuation Payments: 
Evacuation payments are made when employees/family member(s) are authorized or ordered to evacuate a foreign post. Evacuation payments consist of (1) a subsistence allowance to help cover the costs of lodging and meals; (2) local transportation allowance at the safehaven when a personally owned vehicle is not available; (3) an air freight replacement allowance if air freight is not shipped from post; and (4) a pet shipment and required quarantine allowance to assist with getting the family pet or pets out of and return to the foreign post of assignment. Subsistence amounts are based on the safehaven's per diem rate and the lodging calculation differs if occupying commercial or non-commercial quarters. Evacuation payments terminate no later than 180 days after the evacuation order is issued unless the evacuation order has been extended past the 180 day mark (rare) and an employee's account for 180 days of subsistence has not been reached.

Generally, the United States and non-foreign areas (the 50 United States, the District of Columbia,  territories, possessions, Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands) are designated as the official U.S.  safehaven.  When necessary, an official foreign safehaven may be designated.  Evacuees are required to go to the official U.S. or official foreign safehaven to receive evacuation benefits/allowances. An employee may request designation of an alternate foreign safehaven for special family needs but approval is not guaranteed. See DSSR sections 600 and 960 (Evacuation Payments Worksheet) and the Evacuation Manual available at each foreign post for more information.  The FAQs associated with the 2020 Global Authorized Departure have been moved to the end of the Evacuation FAQs in case they need to be referenced. 


Posts in Evacuation Status Report (Intranet only)
Link to Office of Emergencies in the Diplomatic and Consular Service (M/EDCS)


 (07/2020) - Evacuation Payments Worksheet (myData/Intranet only)
Worksheet to calculate Subsistence Expenses Allowance (SEA) claim.  DSSR 960 also contains the Evacuation Payments Worksheet (available on both Intranet and Internet)

DS-4095 (01/2022) - Subsistence Expense Allowance Application (SEA) (myData/Intranet only) to facilitate SEA payment processing for Department of  State employees and/or eligible family members.  To expedite processing: Forms may be emailed to

The DS-4095 and SEA PS DSSR Template have both been updated on Central Allotment Accounting (CAA) (


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - Evacuations

During evacuations, the Global Community Liaison Office
 (GCLO) is the Department of State's main point of contact for evacuees, providing guidance on allowances, regulations, housing, education and employment for family members. GCLO coordinates with post management, regional bureaus and other offices to support the evacuated community. For questions about evacuations contact  

Contact for Department of State Direct Hire Evacuees: Comptroller Global Finance Services (CGFS) at for clarification, assistance or specific questions related to your SEA application and payments.

Department of Defense and Uniformed Military Personnel: Uniformed military personnel and their dependents are covered separately under the Department of Defense Joint Travel Regulations. Assigned DOD civilians, military, and family members should contact their parent organizations. Those assigned to the Defense Attache Office should contact DIA Headquarters; and those assigned under the Defense Security Cooperation Agency (Military Group, ODC, etc.) should contact their Combatant Command. If DOD personnel have questions, contact the Defense Attache Service, Support Services Branch at (202) 231-7019/7465 /7464/7466 or email

For Agencies Outside of the Department of State: Employees outside of the Department of State should check their agency's regulations before applying the government-wide Standardized Regulations (Government Civilians, Foreign Areas) maintained by the Department of State and commonly referred to as the DSSR.  Although the DSSR applies to all government civilians in foreign areas, each agency may have further implementing regulations and has its own forms and process.  Implementing regulations/policy for the Foreign Affairs Agencies is the Foreign Affairs Manual (FAM).

Last updated May 4, 2023